Friday, March 6, 2009

What a Tulle

Seeing as though tomorrow is my very first wedding dress fitting (slightly terrified, and slightly excited), I thought it time that I describe my Wedding Dress Shopping Experience.
Unlike most brides, this is one aspect of the wedding that I was dreading. As a girl who has been dieting since I was twelve, the pressure of perfection on my wedding day daunts me. So, it is no secret, that trying on a white dress in front of my friends and family, didnt exactly scream "FUN" to me. Dont even get me started on the clamps - that is cruel and unusual punishment in my book.
But, like falling in love, serendipity stepped in. I was at a bridal boutique with one of my girlfriends searching for her wedding dress. I was there for moral support only - no dress shopping for me much to the distaste of my friends. I oohed and awed and then something caught my eye.
All by it's lonesome was my dress. Sitting pretty on a mannequin in all its tulle and glory. I approached the mannequin as if it were pitbull, fearful but curious. Upon closer inspection, I melted into its aura. One look, that is all it took.
I finished with my friends, quietly making eyes at the mannequin. I spent the entire night sleepless. I left work early the next morning and ran back to the bridal salon. It was first dress I even liked, tried on and then bought. They say it happens that way - I didnt think it would for me, but I stand corrected.
Now for the drama. I went back several times to try the dress on and eventually agreed to buy the dress off the floor for a lower price. After I signed the credit card slip, left with my girlfriends feeling revived and excited, I recieved an email from the salon owner. She had made a mistake and charged me too little - that she made an error in judgement and couldnt sell the dress to the agreed price. Knife in heart.
Emails went back and forth, and she wouldnt budge. Eventually, becuase I was too emotional to deal with it, Andrew had to get involved. It was the last thing I wanted, for my future husband to be involved in any way with the dress. But, he stepped in and to my rescue, Prince Charming resolved the issue.
It has been six months since I purchased the dress and not a word shared with the owner. Tomorrow, my mother and I will march in, take the dress and go elsewhere for my alterations. It is a yucky turn on what should be an amazing experience. Lesson Learned: Sometimes my Prince needs to a-Dress our issues.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that this has been such a difficult situation! I can't believe the owner would be that way. At least you won out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute, and I love the title of this blog post. You're just such a good writer!

    I cannot believe the shop owner would do that. Did Andrew say that legally, she couldn't do that to you after you had already purchased the dress for the agreed price?? Ridiculous I tell you!

    ReplyDelete